Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Review: Stuff White People Like

I've been flipping through Stuff White People Like by Christian Lander. My verdict: Entertaining, enjoyable, and at least mildly offensive. I love how it's so simply broken down into a basic list of 'stuff' that is accompanied by brief, humorous descriptions. This format is especially appropriate as it allows me to consume a few items, then close the book and walk away when the text becomes too irritating (and it almost always does). Despite the agitated state with which I always depart the reading, I find that I can never stay removed completely as I repeatedly return for another helping or two. Still, sometimes I can't help but wonder if the book isn't as tongue-in-cheek as readers may choose to believe.

According to a survey at the end of the list, I am extremely white. I suppose I must be because almost everything in the book sounds appealing. I love dinner parties, reusable grocery bags, grammar, Indie music, and breakfast. God, I really love breakfast... Do these things make me lame? Ordinary? Predictable? I'm not really sure, but I certainly felt like that's what the text was implying. Still, it's a humorous read and I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't as sensitive (and dare I say indignant?) as myself.

Check out his blog for a literary amuse-bouche or two.
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

No comments: