Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Challenges are challenging...

It's day three of the challenge and things are going well so far, particularly because of the wiggle room I've given myself. I've adjusted slightly the direction of the 100 miles. Being way up north (my igloo has hi-speed!) and given my transportation restriction, means that there's not much in the way of farming north and west of here. So, I've allowed the border to extend east and south just a bit to incorporate more farmland.

I've also thrown in the "snack rule." Clearly, I can't go all day without some munchies, and while I love fresh peas and baby carrots, I have them all the time anyways. The real loss comes from the goodies I have as treats like granola, chips, desserts, etc. Therefore the "snack rule" allows for treats to bring in lunches or have in the evening but the condition is that they have to be made entirely from scratch and with at least 80% local ingredients. For example, tonight I'm baking muffins with local applesauce, butter, and eggs, but the flour is just standard non-bleached. Make sense?

Last night's meal was vegetable soup and bruschetta, and tonight is bison pot pie. I'm using my Nono's secret recipe except with bison instead of beef. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

2 comments:

Leah Bean said...

Ooh, Bison Pot Pie! Sounds good.

I'm so jealous of Ontario/Quebec ppl when it comes to the local eating thing. You guys have so much available, and a longer season too!

I've read the book "The 100-Mile Diet" but haven't seen the show. I wonder if it'll come out on DVD.

Keep the local-food-lovin coming!

KMont said...

I don't have cable so I watched the show online! There is only a handful of episodes, you should definitely do it!