Sunday, October 18, 2009

Decisions, decisions...

It's that time of year again, Nanowrimo time. Well, almost. It's, at the very least, almost time to decide if it's something worth participating in. For those of you who haven't heard, Nanowrimo is a 50,000 word, 30 day writing challenge for the month of November (National Novel Writing Month). 50,000 words is a difficult feat, particularly for novice writers such as myself. Still, having a deadline and a concrete goal is sometimes a great motivating factor to finally sit down and get some writing done.

I attempted Nanowrimo (website here http://www.nanowrimo.org/)last year and did not fare very well at all. I seriously underestimated the amount of writing necessary and was just really unprepared and unable to balance the writing with school, work, and various other commitments. Working full time, I have a more static life schedule this year but I also have more extra-curricular activities. I ALSO have a concrete concept for a manuscript and am in need of some structure and motivation to sit down and crank this story out. So you see, friends, there are a number of pros, and a number of cons. What to do?

At the moment I'm leaning towards a 'yes' because it's a great way to distract from what a bitch of a month November otherwise is. But that is another story, for another day. I'll keep you posted on my decision because, obviously, I'll need eyes for editing afterward! That's right, I'm looking at you.

No comments: