Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fabulous Treasures

I discovered an entirely awesome site the other day: www.bookmooch.com. Basically, if you've got some books you're finished reading (or ones you'd like to toss) and know of a few others you'd like to take a crack at, this site is for you. The idea is that you collect points for mailing your old books to people who want them, then use your points to have others send books to you. I've joined and mailed out two books so far. Unfortunately, mailing around can get expensive. Thus, you have to consider a few questions before you commit: 1) what would happen to your books if you weren't sending them to willing readers? 2) how do you feel about being a part of an international book-reading community? 3) is it important that the books you read are purchased new? 4)is it worth the time/effort/money?

I'm a big supporter of libraries. That said, I f*cking love actually 'owning' the books I read (mostly). I'm perfectly content to have piles of novels lining the walls of my apartment. Still, the personal collection grows to ridiculous proportions and every few months I'm forced to donate a pile to family, friends, the Sally Ann, etc. Well, not that I don't love those jerks, but I'm also somewhat of a selfish person. If I can secure this type of trade (my books for yours), then why not? Worst case scenario and I don't receive any books in return, I'm still sending out books I'm done reading to people who want them. And that's not too bad at all.

No comments: