Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's love/hate.


Bridgehead Coffee

http://www.bridgehead.ca/

I love that it's local. I love that it's fair trade. I do have one complaint though- if you accidentally order in a "Starbucks size" like say, "tall," for example, they make an issue out of it. Usually it's something like "Sorry what size was that? I just don't understand those Starbucks sizes. I don't really get them." Declared in a super condescending way.

I'm not exaggerating either when I tell you this exact phrase has been said to me on FOUR separate occasions. Actually, when I brought an out-of-town friend there last time, I provided her with the caveat. Then, I happened to be flustered and forgetful as I dropped my keys while ordering and accidentally asked for a "grande." As if on cue, the barista repeated the above phrase. My friend later, after a "wow. you weren't kidding." suggested that perhaps they're trained to do so. I hate that it happens though because seriously, I'm here supporting your local business, don't make me feel like an asshole for making a mistake. If you're really so 'unfamiliar' with those Starbucks terms, maybe you should wander into one. There's at least THREE between here and the next Bridgehead. NOT to mention, I did my time as a barista at a local chain (What up Seattle Coffee House in Thunder Bay!) and guess what! We used "tall" and "grande" too. So there goes your pretentious street cred Bridgehead. Maybe you need to refine your arrogantly minimal coffee lexicon and focus on not fucking up my latte.

I actually set out to write this post in praise of a coffeehouse that I've started to frequent but it seems to have mutated into a complaint of customer service and general etiquette. I guess that really does prove the effectiveness of forcing yourself to articulate your thoughts; sometimes they may lead you someplace unexpected.

1 comment:

Slyons said...

Here in Guelph we have a wide assortment of pretentious and condescending coffee places, some with baristas (sorry to use Starbucks lingo) who are downright grungy in a Dredlock, piercing and not bathing kind of way. They are all so phony in their own ways (other than the Red Brick Cafe - Shout out) that Starbucks is a nice change of pace.

Having lived in Ottawa, I sympathize about Bridgehead. I suggest that you go in there and order something Ethiopian. Then when they start making it, say, in your most condescending tone, "Pfft. That's not how they make it in Ethiopia. This place is pretty amateurish."