Monday, May 18, 2009

moosic for cows, mewsic for cats, muzak for elevators

I promise I'm not trying to turn this into a music blog. That said, here's another post about music. It's more my internal (and eternal) struggle with concert ticket purchases than an actual post. Feel free to stop reading here.

So, here's my conundrum: The Ottawa Bluesfest performer listings is up. There are quite a few bands I'd love to see, but even more that I'd only -like- to see. What's a concert really worth? And, how much should an individual pay for the live concert experience? Is that as important as the music itself? It's really a tough one for me. I enjoy live bands enough that they don't have to be my absolute favourite for me to purchase a ticket. Still, if it's two weeks of musical decisions, maybe I should be a bit more selective about my ticket purchases for the sake of my wallet. I need someone to tell me how to prioritize. Who should make my 'must see' list?

Some contenders are:

Jackson Browne
Blue Rodeo
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The National
Xavier Rudd
The Stills
Iron & Wine
The Zombies
The Yardbirds
Okkervil River
Ani DiFranco
Black Mountain

Aaaaand, at the risk of y'all thinking I'm lame, my favourite show of last year's Bluesfest just happened to be the best show of my LIFE; James Taylor. What if by skipping some of my favourites, I miss out on what could also make the list of 'best ever shows'? Hmmmmm? Exactly. Conundrum.

Also, since we're on the subject, here's a must-check-out:
The Sunday Sinners
http://www.myspace.com/thesundaysinners

I recommend the song 'What Goes On'. The lead singer has a fabulous voice. Girl crush!

2 comments:

delaney said...

oh, dude, this is such a tough one! well, ive seen the national, and if you havent, i highly recommend seeing them at least once (and they dont come around that often, what with them being british and all). im also crazy for okkervil river (thank you!) and would LOVE to see them, so again, if you havent already, i would go to that one. i just saw the stills last weekend, and while im not crazy about their new album, it was still a really fun show. that one depends on how much you love the new album, because like i said, i dont. and, finally, i have a total boner for the new yeah yeah yeahs album. so that one would make my list.

let me know who you choose! im so jealous, by the way - what an amazing time to have just moved to ottawa!

KMont said...

I can't believe you have a boner for the yeah yeah yeahs. So, they make you pearl jam in you pants? :)