Saturday, January 30, 2010

E.T Phone Home


As I thoroughly enjoy bringing realism and doom and gloom to an otherwise chipper and upbeat blog, courtesy of the hopeful, happy, and wonderfully optimistic Krista, I present my thoughts on the universe and us.

So lately I have been really into shows about the universe. Astrophysics is really as nerdy as I have always thought it was but it is incredibly interesting to think about life and existence on such a grand scale. I think I find it so interesting because it not only points out how incredibly insignificant we are as a planet but also how insignificant our teeny tiny milky way is to the greater picture. For example, one show demonstrated our size and significance by comparing the universe to a beach. It stated that the universe is made up of so many galaxies that if you considered each galaxy as a grain of sand then the number of galaxies in the universe would be about as many grains of sand on every beach on the planet earth. That is pretty insane. Just think about how many grains of sand is in just one handful off of one beach. That is a whole lot of galaxies.


Now this may all sound really depressing and cynical but if you realize how little our planet matters then you really don't feel as if you have to accomplish much. I mean I used to feel like I was not living up to my potential as an educated human being but considering how minuscule we are anyways...who cares. Therefore, all we need to do is have fun, enjoy life, enjoy each other, and not worry about being important to anyone but those that surround us. Although, thinking about this can also leave you with a smile on your faces as you are overcome with a sense of awe as you wonder how this massive expanse of the universe all came to be. Pretty cool....pretty cool.

My god I bet Stephen Hawkins is pretty depressed having dedicated his life to this topic.

Ok sorry next time I will write about cooking or something more cheerful...lol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you been contemplating the meaning of life because Lost is premiering on Tuesday? Lol...
-Nicolina