Monday, January 25, 2010

Screw Nestle, make your own Quik!

As I might have mentioned before, I stand vehemently on the opposition side of the water privatization issue. I equate the purchasing of bottled water with peeing in a public place; if it's an emergency, then do what you've gotta do. Otherwise, just wait until there's a tap (or toilet) available. (*Note: This site does not condone public urination.)

Still, I know that Erica and I do not want this blog to become overly preachy and annoying. So, I'll limit myself on the water debate...for now. (almost)

The point is, I boycott the company Nestle. I primarily avoid them because of their hideous human rights violations in their efforts to control the earth's water supply. However, there are quite a number of products under their corporate umbrella (many of which are opposed by a number of groups for various reasons) and this includes the squeezably convenient Nestle Quik chocolate syrup. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of competition for this product, so my options are limited. The solution? Homemade chocolate sauce.

Recipe: Homemade chocolate sauce

I don't actually tend to "follow" recipes per se, but lucky for you, it couldn't be any simpler.

3-4 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups cocoa powder
pinch of salt

I actually used vanilla sugar (sugar infused with vanilla beans/seeds) and omitted the extract. Either would work.

1. Mix the cocoa powder and water over medium heat.
2. When cocoa dissolved, mix in sugar. Stir to dissolve.
3. Add vanilla and salt.
4. Bring to boil for 1-3 minutes
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes to make sure everything is dissolved and the flavours have developed.
6. Allow to cool completely, then store in a glass jar in the fridge.

Will keep for a couple of months. Use a couple of tablespoons for chocolate milk or drizzle liberally over ice cream!

No comments: