Friday, January 15, 2010

Wanted: Change.

I try to avoid talking politics. There are a few specific topics on which I have profoundly intense opinions. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly "aces" at debating and I tend to struggle with separating my emotions from the subjects I feel strongly about. I especially don't want to risk creating tension within any friendships because of a political divide. Thus, I steer clear of being pulled into conversations of the political persuasion.

That said, there's one topic for which I express my interest with complete transparency. For those of you who know me, you know that it's the environment. I'll be the first to admit, however, that I'm no David Suzuki. There are literally hundreds of ways I could become more green. Still, I do my best to uphold the commitments I can. I turn down the heat, turn off the light, compost, recycle, upcycle, and bicycle. I don't buy bottled water or products from known clear cutters. As much as I can afford it, I shop locally, sustainably, and organically.

Unfortunately, this is not enough. The fact is, while we can all work to do our part on an individual level, we need the support from our government. More importantly, the earth needs the action from our government. As it stands, Canada is taking more steps backward than forward in the struggle with climate change. In Copenhagen last month, Canada was presented with no less than SEVEN "fossil awards" for blocking progress at the UN summit. How shameful! I am appalled by the inaction of the Conservative government. Harper needs to stop tilling the oil sands and start leading Canada towards a clean future. I believe that there's still time for change, but the clock is running out.

A personal hero of mine, Maude Barlow of the Council of Canadians, captured this sentiment quite nicely.
Click here to read Maude Barlow's editorial in last week's Globe and Mail.

Also check out
ecoSanity, a personal favourite green site

No comments: