Friday, April 24, 2009

Don't run my heart around.

This morning I received an email from my most recent alma mater with some info on upcoming publishing conferences in Toronto. Apparently the Editor's Association of Canada is also hosting an open meeting at the end of April during which the deets of the various conference will be discussed. What caught my eye was a line that said the meeting would feature John Green. I quickly sat up and excitedly examined the email closer. It seems in my early morning confusion I forgot that John Green is quite a common name. After a moment of PROFOUND disappointment, I accepted that it would not, in fact, be an appearance by John Green, YA author and Nerdfighter co-founder. My heart skipped a beat at the chance of seeing a personal hero- one who seems determined never to come to Canada. Alas, this particular EAC meeting will feature an editor named John Green who happens to be an EAC committee chair. I'm sure he's a perfectly lovely fellow, but he's simply not the John Green I was hoping to see. I suppose I'll have to settle for the equally exciting news that Paper Towns is becoming a movie, and by the same people who did Juno no less! Horray!

Despite this early morning tragedy, my day is looking up. I'm going to see Black Mountain tonight. They're heavier than I tend to listen to. Still, I've decided I quite dig a few of their songs, particularly the ones that strongly feature the vocals of female member Amber Webber. Check out my current favourite tune, Don't Run Our Hearts Around.

No comments: