Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Unpack Rat

Last night it dawned on me, I've moved ten times in eleven years. Granted, some of these moves were only to new houses in the same city, but still, that's a lot of moving. You'd think after all these moves I would have gotten better at the moving fare; packing, unpacking, lifting, pulling, assembling, etc. I haven't. Basically the only reason I've bothered with any attempt at unpacking is because I'm sharing the apartment with two others and would rather they not evict me immediately. No, I need to bide my time. My plan is to slowly let out all my annoying behaviours (clumsiness, forgetfulness, snoring, harmonica practice!, among others) and then, just when they can't stand it a moment longer- BAM! Emeril style, I'll dazzle them with something delectable from the kitchen! I'll embrace the old adage and win their hearts via their stomachs.

Speaking of stomachs, the rainy April days have really become pathetic fallacy for my sentiments towards the stresses of moving. My remedy? A delicious comfort meal. Last night I made tortellini soup with spicy sausage and served it with stuffed tomatoes. I filled them with garlic, ricotta, egg and panko, and baked them until the filling puffed out. It was just the ticket and I found myself reassured. It's amazing how cooking a good meal can make such a difference. The methodical movements of chopping, stirring, and of course, tasting, really help to center and calm.

While continuing to blog is highly enticing to me right now, I can clearly see that it's primarily because I'd rather not return to my mountain of stuff, junk mostly, that needs unpacking and sorting. Alas, I shall regrettably man up...for the time being at least. Or maybe I should twitter....

No comments: